Following the Crosby family interest in boats,
in 1989 Kenn ordered the building of the 60' n/b THOMAS COVENANT by Black
Country Narrowboats of Stourton on the Stourbridge Canal,
nr Stourbridge. Why Thomas?
Named after the character by Steven Donaldson, Thomas
features pictures from the book covers -
on the drop table (Kevins' Watch) and pictures were added later to rear cabin
doors (Fouls' Creche and Revelstone). Other internal doors have original Dave
Moore roses on them.
Here are a few photos and some details.
First, just a photo of THOMAS outside The
Next a shot of him on dry dock (at Langley Mill with COLLIE II) showing the
The next photograph shows him shortly after launch in July 1989.
The boat just visible behind THOMAS
, built by the same
yard for the Rosie & Jim television programme.
Following Kenn's emigration to Australia, n/b THOMAS COVENANT
was sold in 2000.
I had lots of adventures on Thomas, these included:
loading n/b CEPHEUS
for the beer run
River Soar floods
- Petter PJ3W
- 3 cylinder diesel, 33hp @ 2000 rpm
- traditional style and sound
- mid 1960's unit, re-manufactured (by ARS Diesel) and has only 5500 hrs
- water cooled ( 2 skin tanks, 1 under the boatman's on the starboard swim and
1 on the engine room floor).
- marinised and with a HURTH 2:1 gearbox,
- The engine is controlled by a traditional speed wheel and a gear wheel.
- NOTE: this is a picture taken after the boatyards installation. The exhaust
has since been changed for a correct (larger) diameter system with absorption
type silencer and the throttle level is now rod controlled not a bit of old
- The engine also has a Kleenoil filter system fitted which means the oil
(semi-synth) needs never be changed just the Kleenoil element changed once
per year and the Petter one once every 4 years.
- Prop (21" x 18") was re-made by Crowther Propellers around 1999.
- Engine has an extended power take-off shaft with fittings and pulleys for
up to 3 alternators,
- Leece-Neville/IH 100A alternator (with a spare unit),
- ADVERC Battery Management unit,
- 400AHr of domestic batteries and 120AHr engine start,
- 60W Solar Panel,
- 20A 3 stage & float ADVERC battery charger,
- 1500W ProWatt inverter,
- 12V Busbar distribution system through-out boat.
- 240V AC distribution system with switch selectable input (inverter or shore-line).
- Nokia mobile phone with fully installed car kit fitted with external aerial, data connection
and modem + extra car kit for car,
- Tefal Washboy washing machine and spin dryer,
- TV and VCR.
- Radio cassette player with 6 stack CD player.
- 2 cu ft Engle deep-freeze
- 120 gallon (approximately) food-grade polytank under front deck.
- 11 gallon hot water tank in engine room, heater both by 1KW immersion heater
and solid fuel stove.
- Fully copper piped hot & cold running water.
The boat is heated by 2 MORSO Squirrel solid/multi-fuel stoves. The aft one
sits at the rear of the boatman's cabin adjacent to the steering position ensuring
warmth and a handily boiling kettle when steering.
The saloon cabin stove also provides hot water, radiators in the bathroom and
engine room and hot air vents adjacent to the bed.
Aft of the engine room is an 8ft traditional boatman's cabin, with another Squirrel
stove, drop table and bed etc. A 2 cu ft ENGLE deep freeze is also kept here.
Forward of the engine hole is the bedroom with a full size bed
with a orthopedic mattress. The bed folds to the wall during the day to leave
the cabin as open space that is used as an office at present. This has a hands free
mobile phone kit with data kit allowing fax & internet connection via any
computer with a PCMCIA slot. Forward again is the bathroom with Elsan Bristol
toilet, shower & sink. Then the galley and saloon. The galley has a sink
and oven & 3 ring hob & grill.